Recording a Phone Call with MixerFace
In this tech note we will show you how to record a phone call using MixerFace.
MixerFace makes it possible to record a phone conversation, while using your favorite high quality microphone on your end of the call. With a few cables, the versatile I/O of MixerFace allows you to speak with your guest over the phone through your mic (connected to CH.1), while sending your guests’ audio through CH.2. We will break down this process here.
What you will need:
- Microphone Cable
- Headset Splitter Cable
- Two 3.5mm AUX Cable’s
- 3.5mm to 1/4in MONO adapter
- Lightning to 3.5mm adapter (if using newer model iPhone)
- SD card if recording into R4R model
- Power on MixerFace
- Connect microphone to CH. 1 via mic cable
- Adjust Gain Knob on MixerFace to taste
- Send Line Out from MixerFace via 3.5mm cable, into the MIC end of the Headset Splitter Cable
- Using the 2nd 3.5mm cable, connect one side into the headphone end of the Headset Splitter Cable
- Connect the opposite side of the 2nd cable to the 1/4in MONO adapter – plug into CH.2
- The solo end of the Headset Splitter Cable goes into the headphone jack of your phone (if using newer model iPhone you will need the lightning to 3.5mm adapter)
- Connect headphones to headphone out on MixerFace for monitoring
Make sure to insert your SD card and start recording prior to making your call if recording into R4R’s built-in recorder. If recording via USB, proceed as usual with recording any audio to your software of choice.
Some More Tips:
- If you have the luxury to do so, we advise making your phone call via an application such as FaceTime or Skype- as the audio quality of your guest will be noticeably better than a normal phone call.
- You will most likely want to keep the gain of CH.2 (your guest’s level) pretty high. Of course, if the signal is too hot turn it down some!
- Make sure that the 1/4 adapter is in fact a MONO adapter, you do not want to feed the stereo signal into CH.2!
Contact us. As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to drop us a line. You can reach us via the email box at the bottom of this page or via the contact us form. We are serious about customer support and will help you get going quickly.