Product development is moving along.
We know that because we are starting to make tough decisions, that involve design trade offs.
Unfortunately, we can’t have “everything” so we need to come up with compromises and try to meet the needs of the most people.
Right now we have a real dilemma.
We are in the process of pulling the product’s performance specs together and need to make some decisions regarding battery life and output level.
Suffice it to say that this is causing some heated battles in the office. Here is what we know:
1) DACport is great at driving most headphones, but for some rare over-the-ear kinds it may need a little bit more gain.
2) DACmini has higher output level then DACport and can drive pretty much any headphones. This comes at the expense of higher power consumption.
3) With HiFi-M8 we would like to drive as many headphones as possible. However, we don’t want to drain the battery too fast.
We have a choice. We can make HiFi-M8 such that it has:
- About 5 hours of battery life and output performance that’s equal to DACmini (pretty much any headphones, incl. over-the-ear)
- About 8 hours of battery life and output performance that’s equal to DACport (most headphones, certainly all IEMs)
This is causing sleepless nights at the moment. We will eventually pick a golden middle. But please respond via the head-fi thread with your comments on the above.